TRAINING: Service-Learning Educator Institute, Saint Paul
Science Museum of Minnesota
Saint Paul, MN
Join the National Youth Leadership Council, service-learning experts and host of the National Service-Learning Conference®, for an immersive two days of professional development with a community of like-minded educators.
This opportunity is open to K-12 classroom teachers who are looking to implement service-learning in their classrooms, instructional coaches and curriculum specialists who want to support teachers in implementing this innovative pedagogy, and administrators who want to understand how service-learning can transform their school.
Service-Learning Educator Institute participants will:
- Develop an academically-aligned service-learning unit plan including rigorous assessments;
- Experience activities that are replicable in the classroom;
- Understand how to incorporate students into the development and implementation of service-learning unit;
- Receive tools and templates to use during the training and in their own practice.
Service-learning helps students meet academic learning targets, positively impact their community, and gain leadership skills. In combination with a backwards design curriculum, service-learning gives educators the opportunity to transform their classrooms.
The Service-Learning Educator Institute:
- Utilizes constructivist rather than traditional teaching methods so that attendees apply their knowledge, skills, and experiences to what they are learning;
- Facilitates learning so that participants are actively learning;
- Models service-learning as teachers should be implementing in the classroom;
- Provides activities that teachers can immediately use in their classroom;
- Builds a community of teachers who can learn from each other’s experiences;
- Provides space for teachers to develop their own service-learning unit with support of experienced service-learning trainers.
The cost of registering for this Service-Learning Educator Institute is $250 per participant for two (2) eight-hour training days. Lunch and coffee are provided both days. Final registration deadline is February 15, 2018. This Institute is being offered as a pre-conference session immediately prior to the National Service-Learning Conference on March 11-13. If you would like to register for both the Institute and the Conference, please register here: http://servicelearningconference.org/2018/registration. Email Jason Stewart at email@example.com with any comments or questions regarding this opportunity.