Our work connects us with students and young people from diverse backgrounds, educators in formal and informal learning spaces, and community partners across the nation. Our approach is service-learning, which promotes positive youth development and increases learning outcomes for students. Young people are called upon to lead and create positive change in the world.
The out-of-school setting, which includes after-school and summer learning, aligns naturally with service-learning in many ways. Both involve:
- Organizing activities that contribute to the social-emotional, personal, and leadership development of young people
- Facilitating experiential, hands-on learning and skill-building that links knowledge to action
- Providing spaces for meaningful youth engagement
- Increasing civic participation through an integration of family, school, and community efforts
- Creating a supportive environment with opportunities to belong and build relationships with other young people and caring adults
We have partnered with Statewide Afterschool Networks in Oregon, Rhode Island, and Tennessee.