The Next Institute is:
New Foundations Charter School
Join the National Youth Leadership Council, service-learning experts and host of the National Service-Learning Conference®, for an immersive two days of professional development with a community of like-minded educators.
This opportunity is open to K-12 classroom teachers who are looking to implement service-learning in their classrooms, instructional coaches and curriculum specialists who want to support teachers in implementing this innovative pedagogy, and administrators who want to understand how service-learning can transform their school.
Service-Learning Educator Institute participants will:
- Develop an academically-aligned service-learning unit plan including rigorous assessments;
- Experience activities that are replicable in the classroom;
- Understand how to incorporate students into the development and implementation of a service-learning unit;
- Receive tools and templates to use during the training and in their own practice.
Service-learning helps students meet academic learning targets, positively impact their community, and gain leadership skills. In combination with a backwards design curriculum, service-learning gives educators the opportunity to transform their classrooms.
The Service-Learning Educator Institute:
- Utilizes constructivist rather than traditional teaching methods so that attendees apply their knowledge, skills, and experiences to what they are learning;
- Facilitates learning so that participants are actively learning;
- Models service-learning as teachers should be implementing in the classroom;
- Provides activities that teachers can immediately use in their classroom;
- Builds a community of teachers who can learn from each other’s experiences;
- Provides space for teachers to develop their own service-learning unit with support of experienced service-learning trainers.
Total cost is $350 per participant for two (2) eight-hour training days (discounted early bird rates available — see event details). Lunch and coffee are provided both days. Register for the Service-Learning Educator Institute at nylc.org/store.
What past participants have to say…
Email Jason Stewart at email@example.com with any comments or questions regarding this opportunity.
Is the Service-Learning Educator Institute right for me?
You will find value in the Institute if you are…
- New to service-learning and wanting to learn the basics
- Knowledgable about service-learning and looking to invigorate your implementation
- Wondering how service-learning might fit into the context of your work and elevate what you’re already doing
- A classroom educator K-16 directly leading service-learning projects with students
- A service-learning coordinator or department lead who leads teams of educators
- An out-of-school time educator
- Wanting hands-on practice with activities and planning tools that are immediately useable
We have developed the Institute to be extremely hands-on, collaborative, and experiential. A range of educators attend our Educator Institutes, from classroom teachers who are directly leading service-learning projects to service-learning coordinators or department leads who lead teams of educators. Attendees also range in the context of their work from K-12, higher ed, non-profits, and government organizations. We’ve received feedback from attendees of all contexts who felt the Educator Institute was beneficial to them because it allowed them to deepen their understanding of high-quality service-learning, experience activities that could be utilized right away, and plan a service-learning unit or framework that’s custom to the outcomes of your context of work using numerous tools provided by NYLC.