The next Service-Learning Educator Institute is:
March 9-10, 2018
Science Museum of Minnesota
Saint Paul, MN
Register now (Institute Only)
Join the National Youth Leadership Council, service-learning experts and hosts of the National Service-Learning Conference®, for an immersive two days of professional development with a community of innovative educators.
Open to K-16 educators, instructional coaches, curriculum specialists, and administrators who want to understand how this approach to civic engagement can transform their classrooms, schools, and communities.
Service-learning helps students not only meet academic learning targets, but also apply their 21st century skills to community needs while gaining leadership skills.
The Service-Learning Educator Institute:
- Utilizes constructivist rather than traditional teaching methods so that attendees apply their knowledge, skills, and experiences to what they are learning;
- Models research-based practices for high quality service-learning;
- Builds a community among participants who can learn from each other’s experiences;
- Provides time for participants to develop their own service-learning unit with the support of experienced service-learning trainers, using a backwards planning curriculum design approach.
Service-Learning Educator Institute participants will:
- Develop an academically-aligned service-learning unit plan including rigorous assessments;
- Develop and experience activities, tools, and templates;
- Understand how to incorporate students in the development and implementation of a service-learning unit.
The total cost is $350 per participant for two eight-hour training days (discounted early bird rates available — see event details). Lunch and coffee are provided both days. Register for the Service-Learning Educator Institute at nylc.org/store.
What past participants have to say…
Email Elizabeth Koenig at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Is the Service-Learning Educator Institute right for me?
You will find value in the Institute if you are…
- New to service-learning and wanting to learn the basics.
- Knowledgable about service-learning and wanting to invigorate your implementation.
- Wondering how service-learning might fit into the context of your work and elevate what you’re already doing.
- A classroom educator K-16 leading service-learning projects with students.
- A service-learning coordinator or department head who leads teams of educators.
- An out-of-school time educator.
- Wanting hands-on practice with activities and planning tools that are immediately useable.
We have developed the Institute to be hands-on, collaborative, and experiential.