We are excited to offer two Service-Learning Educator Institutes this summer:
Tuesday, June 20 – Wednesday, June 21
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
TIES Conference Center
1644 Larpenteur Ave W
Saint Paul, MN 55108
Tuesday, July 11 – Wednesday, July 12
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Holiday Inn & Suites, Phoenix Airport North
1515 North 44th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85008
Service-learning helps students meet academic learning targets, positively impact their community, and gain leadership skills. In combination with a backwards design curriculum, service-learning gives educators the opportunity to transform their classrooms.
Join the National Youth Leadership Council, service-learning experts and host of the National Service-Learning Conference®, for an immersive two days of professional development with a community of like-minded educators.
Service-Learning Educator Institute participants will:
- Develop an academically-aligned service-learning unit plan including rigorous assessments;
- Experience activities that are replicable in the classroom;
- Understand how to incorporate students into the development and implementation of service-learning unit;
- Receive tools and templates to use during the training and in their own practice.
This opportunity is open K-12 classroom teachers who are looking to implement service-learning in their classrooms, instructional coaches and curriculum specialists who want to support teachers in implementing this innovative pedagogy, and administrators who want to understand how service-learning can transform their school.
The Service-Learning Educator Institute:
- Utilizes constructivist rather than traditional teaching methods so that attendees apply their knowledge, skills, and experiences to what they are learning;
- Facilitates learning so that participants are actively learning;
- Models service-learning as teachers should be implementing in the classroom;
- Provides activities that teachers can immediately use in their classroom;
- Builds a community of teachers who can learn from each other’s experiences;
- Provides space for teachers to develop their own service-learning unit with support of experiences service-learning trainers.
Total cost is $350 per participant for two (2) eight-hour training days. Lunch and coffee are provided both days. Register for the Service-Learning Educator Institute at nylc.org/store.
Email Jason Stewart at email@example.com with any comments or questions regarding this opportunity.